Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Cactus and Succulent Society Show Plants

This is the 50th anniversary Cactus and Succulent Society Show, held at the Huntington Library and Botanic Garden in San Marino, CA.

I will be entering and selling both plants and pots.

I'm entering 15 or so plants.  I'm never sure of the exact number until the morning when I have to put them into the car.  Some come out, others go in.


Turbinicarpus knuthianus 

It is in a 14 inch Erika van Auker pot and is barely movable.


 Astrophytum myriostigma (Tulense)

Grown from seed.  It gradually outgrew all of my cold frames.  It is in one of my pots.


Astrophytum myriostigma 'Onzuka' crest

Another in one of my pots.  An old crest from Miles Anderson.


Cereus jamacaru crest

A seed grown plant from CSSA Seed bank seed. The batch of seeds produced several monstrose seedlings, this being the best by far.  It is in one of my pots.
 

Cleistocactus winterii variegated crest with variegated semi-normals

Another Miles Anderson crest in one of my pots.  It never wins, the judges rightfully mark it down because of the brown areas.  It's such a wonderful weird plant I enter it anyway, just to watch people try to figure out what it is.  Lots of photos taken of this.


Cochimea pondii

Again in one of my pots.  I don't use my pots as often as appearing in this blog.


Coryphantha radians

Potted in a wonderful Evelynn Stevens pot.  I'm afraid it will outgrow this in the next year.
 

Eriosyce species.

This is in a Joe Wujick Pot.  I'm not sure of the species.  I have flower pictures, but they don't match or even come close to any reference. 


The picture of the unknown Eriosyce.


Eriosyce bulbocalyx

An old plant, originally from Rene Caro, and growing steadily.  It is ready for a bigger pot.  Currently in one of my own.


Espostoa ritteri crest

An old Miles Anderson crest in a wonderful Joe Wujick pot. The secret to growing large crests like this is to immediately get them out of the undersized pots they come in, and put them into something large. 


Gymnocalycium tudae (marsoneri ssp megatae)

I believe this is a Joe Wujcik pot.


Mammillaria chionocephala

It one of my early pots.  It really should go into something nicer.  Maybe next year.


Mammillaria crucigera

When young this is painfully slow.  When old it is too.  In a great Joe Wujcik pot.


Mammillaria lloydii

In one of my early attempts at pottery.  It looks better in person than in this picture, but this needs repotting as well.


Mytillocalycium 'Pollop'

Around for quite awhile.  This is beginning to show its age.  It's still a wonderful plant.  In one of my pots.

No comments:

Post a Comment