Tuesday, August 9, 2016

2016 Inter-City Show Entries

It's two days before the show, and my entries (for the most part) are selected, potted, cleaned and staged.  As always there is a mix of new and old, and some of the older plants can be seen in previous blogs.  Some get better, some don't. 

The selection process for me is simple, get 30 plants ready, and see how many fit in the truck.

On to the plants

Agave Kissho Kan growing better than it ever has.  It has a bit of hail damage still visible on the lower leaves.  All of my Agave's are not screen covered during the weather season.


Agave potatorum 'Cubic' is a Kelly Griffen selection.  This has been a relatively slow grower for me, but finally beginning to look presentable.


Ariocarpus kotschoubeyanus in one of my pots.  It needs transplanting, but I have to break the pot to get it out.

Astrophytum asterias v type crest on a very long graft.





Buiningia brevicylindrica var. longispina, and old plant finally beginning to offset.  This will be spectacular in another 10 years.  It get repotted after the show to encourage new growth.


Cleistocactus winterii variegated and crested with partially reverting normals.  The long 'normals' get removed every fall and normally just tossed.  Since they are now showing signs of cresting, these will gt better attention.


Coryphanta radians in an Evelynn Stevens pot.  The white pumice gets removed for the show.


Coryphantha nickelsiae in an Erika van Auker pot.  It needs a bigger pot, but then I may not be able to move it.





A first time show plant is this Echinopsis ferox.


Eriosyce species with a flower that does not match any I've seen elsewhere.






Geohintonia mexicana in one of my pots.  First show for this as well.


Haageocereus lanugispinus crest.  I don't know any way to photograph this that will show how great this looks in person.


Same plant potted in one of my tall cylinders to hide the graft.


Jatropha species, one which I got from Larry Grammer many years ago.  Never strongly rooted, it keeps on growing.


Mammillaria coahuilensis which I used to show when it was small, now in a larger and much deeper pot and happy for it.  It will look even better next year.


Mammillaria tescopacensis (sonorensis) v rubraflora shown for the past several years in this pot.  I'll need to learn how to make wider round pots.






Pelecyphora strobiliformis shown last year as well.  This is my last pot (for the next few months) of this type, but more will soon appear.


Peniocereus striatus, although it was a Wilcoxia when I bought it and passed through Echinocereus over the ears.  Raised for show, the roots will need to be reburied.


Zygosicyos tripartitus in a Debbie Ball pot.  There are several others, and I'll probably change my mind on a few before the day is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment